“Make a pact with yourself today to not be defined by your past. Sometimes the greatest thing to come out of all your hard work isn’t what you get for it, but what you become for it. Shake things up today! Be You…Be Free…Share.”
― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free.
Today we will see FR in Polity and what kinds of questions UPSC has asked in the past both preliminary and main exams, few questions also. Now from now on I thought we will give everyday tips on current affairs also covering important ones from all newspapers, Front Line, Yojana, Kurushetra, EPW, and World Focus. One can expect many questions from the topics which we will cover.
For Fundamental rights the best book is D.D. Basu. The Fundamental Rights of the Constitution are, in general, those rights of citizens, or those negative obligations of the State nor to encroach on individual liberty, that have become well-known since the late eighteenth century and since the drafting of the Bill of Rights of the American Constitution—for the Indians, no less than other peoples, become heir to this liberal tradition. These rights in the Indian Constitution are divided into seven parts: the Right to Equality, the Right of Freedom, the Right Against Exploitation, the Right to Freedom of Religion, Cultural and Educational Rights, the Right to Property, and the Right to Constitutional Remedies. The Rights lay down that the state is to deny no one equality before the law. All citizens are to have the right to freedom of religion, assembly, association, and movement. No person is to be deprived of his life, liberty, or property, except in accordance with the law. Minorities are allowed to protect and conserve their language, script, and culture. And various means are provided whereby the citizen can move the Supreme Court and other courts for the enforcement of the Fundamental Rights.
- Motilalal Nehru report of 1929.
- How our FRs are different from Bill of rights.
- 44th amendment amending right to property.
- Keshavanad Bhaarthi case and Golaknath case in detail.
- Art 16 very important in the current state for reservations.
- What are basic features of the constitution?
- Art 21 right to life and liberty.
- When the fundamental rights can be suspended.
- Which FRs are only for our citizens.
- 86th amendment right to education.
- Right to life – 21 rights interpreted by SC ( DD. Basu book.)
- Many a time’s questions are asked on Secularism and rights of Minorities.
- Art 32 Constitutional remedies. Habeas Corpus, Prohibition, mandamus,
The kind of questions a few examples-
- The Fundamental Rights of Indian citizens
- can be suspended by the President during national emergency
- can be suspended by the President during all types of emergencies
- can be suspended by the President with the prior approval of the Supreme Court at any time
- Cannot be suspended under any condition
- ‘State for the purpose of fundamental rights’ includes
- Government and Parliament of India
- Government and legislature of state
All local authorities
The following articles are good
- Frontline – There are good articles by Cp. Chandrashekar and Jayti Ghosh on Foreign investments, one article on Buddhism, NAM conference report Iran, Mission 100, a new science column, World report is also good. Articles on Denotified, nomadic and Semi nomadic tribes.
- Kurushetra- In detail they have covered SSA, RTE act, Government programs.
- EPW- Omkareshwar Dam issues, COP11 Biodiversity meet Hyderabad report, Identity, community and conflict—good article for Sociology students. BT cotton issues.
Many may think that apart from the daily newspapers, subjects , GS , how one can read such voluminous articles, am reminded at this time the quote of Brian tract only-
The potential of the average person is like a huge ocean unsailed, a
new continent unexplored, a world of possibilities waiting to be
released and channeled toward some great good.”
The Chapter wise what we put all are available in our online notes GS www.excellcareeronline.com One can access all the current affairs, test series , GS full notes Preliminary as well as Mains for a nominal payment from 1st October, interested aspirants can mail us or give mail ID, we will mail you the details.
In civil services preparations the journey is the reward. Persist on the journey and greatness is yours! All the best!!!