Books suggested for preliminary exams GS
Books suggested for preliminary exams GS– * starred ones are a must; many may not have time for all books. But we have put all this Excel Notes. Aspirants who are not working and college students can read all the books given here. Many questions come from NCERT books for the preliminary as well as from Government websites and publications.
1. Ancient India – NCERT .and Excell Notes *
2. Relevant portions of Indus Valley, Vedic civilization, Buddhism, Jainism – Advanced History of India by Dutta and Majumdar.*
3. Indian culture – ( useful also for main exams also ) www.nios *
4. Modern India – NCERT Bipan Chandra .-( This is a must)*
5. Freedom struggle – Bipan Chandra (this can be useful for mains also )
6. Modern India – Grover and Grover—(also very useful for the mains).
7. India’s struggle for independence –( Bipan Chandra ) useful for mains also .
1. Polity – NCERT book to start with .
2. Polity by Laxmikanth – easy language but that will not suffice .
3. Introduction to the Constitution of India – D.D Basu – a proper book.
4. Indian Parliament by Subash Kashyap
5. Parliament by Rajya sabha Publication. Available online .
6. Political Science-
1. Indian economy by Dutta and Sundaram ( selective chapters and avoid all opinions and excessive statistics ) Current based ones are a must.
2. India year Book 2014.
3. Indian economy by Ramesh Singh (but this will not suffice).
4. Economic survey.
5. Relevant Government websites.
6. More questions will come from Current topics .
1. NCERT books 6, 7 and 8th old NCERT books to start with ( It is available in our website )
2. Certificate of Physical geography – Oxford Publications – Goh Cheong .
3. Indian geography – Khullar , Majid Hussain ( selective topics )
4. Tata MGrah Hill 2014 GS Manual is good .
5. 11, 12th NCERT Books On Geography.
Science and Technology ( current related questions are asked )
1. NCERT books from 8 th 12 th
2. NIOS on environment
3. Year Book on Science and Technogy.
4. TMH manual GS.
5. Excell Notes
6. Anatomy & Physiology for Nurses Courses, Evelyn Pearce
1. NIOS on environment.
2. NCERT books
Journals and magazines suggested.
1. The Hindu.
2. One economic newspaper preferable The Business line .
5. Economic and political weekly ( very selective ones )
6. Frontline ( very selective article non controversial ones , it should be objective).
7. Science Reporter
8. Listening DD News and Parliament news.
9. IIPA Journals for Mains .
10. World Focus ( selective ones )
Our current affairs from Excell is more than enough, no need to go through any monthly magazines.